10 September 2009
Notes on Obama's speech to Congress on healthcare
The source material:
References on Joe Wilson's ass-hattery (i.e. yelling
you lie when the President said that illegal immigrants will not be covered):
- Factcheck's list of falsehoods (i.e. lies) that are being told about healthcare - That it covers illegal immigrants is one of the lies.
- A blog article suggesting that immigrants will be covered - Based on a report from the Congressional Research Service saying that the non-providing would be difficult to enforce. A weak argument at best and certainly a different beast than "illegals will be covered."
- Illegal Immigrants and HR 3200: Estimate of Potential Costs to Taxpayers from the Center for Immigration Studies. I haven't delved deeply into this yet. Possible good resource on numbers.
Another argument I've heard (that the bill will cover illegal immigrants) is that Democrats removed some of the wording that would help enforce that restriction. NPR reports that the wording was removed because it would have restricted the healthcare rights of citizens. No references yet on either of these points.
Finally, the picture of the day:
- It's not him, it's us posted by sstrader on 5 May 2016 at 9:26:33 PM
- More political transcriptions posted by sstrader on 20 March 2016 at 10:19:06 AM
- Health cost posted by sstrader on 18 September 2015 at 10:39:05 AM
- Assassination dept. posted by sstrader on 18 December 2013 at 11:58:24 PM
- Repeat posted by sstrader on 6 September 2013 at 8:19:58 PM