14 June 2012
Year of music
Including our regular Atlanta Symphony concerts, this year's live music experiences have been more varied than usual. All of it reveling in older bands or bands of our past. Sorry, new guys.
Rammstein at Philips Area on 23 April was a ridiculously odd and entertaining show. The fireworks, the flamethrowers attached to their faces, the 40-foot-wide fiery wings (see below), and the skit where the keyboard player--exchanging his mirrored body-suit for leather--was cooked alive in an over-sized cauldron by the lead singer. Memorable.
- Glass's Einstein on the Beach in London in the middle of May!
The Beastie Boys tribute band Ill Communication at Vinyl at the end of May. Could have been cheesy. Was instead awesome. Over the past year or so, I've been meaning to listen to the canonical hip hop albums that I should-know-but-don't. Coincidentally, Matt turned me on to A.V. Club's recent series reviewing 90s rap. Timely.
Roger Waters performed The Wall at Phillips Arena last night. Tremendous show even though, at times, a little over-angsty for my post-teen psyche. It was also extremely political but moving. It's been years and years since a full listening, so the tracks were both unexpected and familiar. Oddly, the hits from the album that I liked less at the time the album came out shined through for me during the show. "Mother" was acoustic with video of Waters performing the song in 1980 projected behind him. I still love the quiet pair of songs "Nobody Home" and "Vera". I was reminded of the musical and structural parallels between the first and second album and realized (with the prompting of an inflatable pig) that "Run Like Hell" could have been an unreleased track from Animals. Well known trivia: the Animals tour was when Waters came up with the idea for The Wall.
Up next: Yes at Verizon Amphitheater at the end of July. Peter Gabriel in Chicago at the end of September. If I could just get Genesis and King Crimson in there, I'd have my teen years pinned down.
- Where was I? posted by sstrader on 9 January 2016 at 10:35:51 AM
- ATL Collective at Terminal West posted by sstrader on 5 July 2015 at 12:10:03 PM
- Where was I? posted by sstrader on 4 June 2015 at 9:22:23 PM
- Music from the Sonic Generator concert, 6 May 2015 posted by sstrader on 7 May 2015 at 11:01:42 PM
- Where was I? posted by sstrader on 31 August 2014 at 5:00:12 PM Other entries categorized in Where was I?:
- Peachtree Road Race 2015 posted by sstrader on 11 July 2015 at 11:45:21 AM
- Where was I? posted by sstrader on 5 July 2014 at 9:18:21 AM
- Where was I? posted by sstrader on 1 July 2014 at 11:38:53 AM
- Where was I? posted by sstrader on 31 May 2014 at 10:07:21 AM
- Where was I? posted by sstrader on 22 February 2014 at 11:54:34 AM