17 November 2013
Home server upgrade
Servers are a difficult thing.
After running into many maintenance headaches on my Ubuntu 9.10 install (unsupported for 2-1/2 years now) I bit the bullet Saturday and decided to upgrade to 10.04. With it, I'm once again able to get updates to installed software and, of course, get all the shiny new. My procrastination plan was to wait and create a completely new server, but that just wasn't happening.
Upgrade took under two hours and was very smooth. Issues afterwards were all database-related. My user privileges were in some way not compatible with either the new OS or the new MySQL, so my home page, blog, two MediaWikis, RadioWave, and ContentMetrics were all off-line for a while. Once reconfigured, my wikis became borked in different ways. The PHP5 upgrade required me to upgrade MediaWiki from 1.13.x to 1.21.x. Ahh, the cascading upgrade process! What did we do before the Web had all of our answers? I remember, and am grateful.
I'll probably be chasing down minor issues for the next week, but damn it feels good to get my house in order.
- Lucas & Lewellen 2005 Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc posted by sstrader on 14 May 2014 at 11:14:37 PM
- Rotta Black Monukka Dessert Wine NV posted by sstrader on 5 May 2014 at 10:34:51 PM
- Dealing with hand issues posted by sstrader on 1 April 2014 at 6:10:02 AM
- GC (11 Mar 2013 - 9 Feb 2014) posted by sstrader on 10 February 2014 at 6:06:50 PM
- Home server upgrade posted by sstrader on 17 November 2013 at 10:05:13 AM