22 February 2014
Where was I?
Saw The Punk Singer [ IMDB | Rotten Tomatoes ] at The Plaza Theater way back on 6 Dec. I had listened to Bikini Kill during and after college, so it was amazing seeing them "live" and equally amazing seeing what an absolute intellectual bad ass Kathleen Hanna was. Added Le Tigre to rotation afterwards. Personal favorite: Phanta. It's a song I wish I would have written.
Continuing the feminist shtick: reread the Pussy Riot Closing Statements after their recent Sochi fun. Yekaterina Samutsevich's statement was brilliant.
Conversely, after reading Sasha Frere-Jones' 16 Dec review of "Britney Jean", I decided to dig into the Britney Spears catalog. Avoiding the newest and the oldest, I went with post-breakdown Britney Blackout (2007), Circus (2008), and Femme Fatale (2011). Was entertained by many songs on the first two; Femme Fatale was garbage. Recommended from Blackout: "Piece of Me", "Radar", "Heaven on Earth", "Why Should I Be Sad". Recommended from Circus: "If U Seek Amy", "Unusual You". I have yet to dig into the classic Britney.
X-Mas Eve annual holiday party dinner with friends at Bacchanalia. New Year's Eve with friends at No. 246 in Decatur then to Bill and Tedra's where, gratefully, my car did not get broken into. Superb Owl Feb 1st weekend with friends at a cabin near Blue Ridge, GA. Drinks, hot tub, so much food, a very cold river, and a self-induced black eye for Lisa.
Saw Skinny Puppy at Center Stage on 4 Feb. Fun show and the stage bric-a-brac reminded both Lisa and I, independently, of the stage for The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.
Saw Romeo et Juliette at Cobb Energy Center with Theresa on 8 Feb. Amazing. Loved the play-within-a-play puppet show and the extended scene in slow motion when Romeo murders Tybalt murders Mercutio was brilliant. So much was happening on stage that I should have gone multiple times.
For the new year, I promised myself to start practicing piano at least once a day in order to tackle Ballade. The going has been slow since, starting a year ago and progressing, I've had odd carpal tunnel-ly things happening in my right hand. Doctor's advice a few months ago was crap and at this point I can't play some of the stuff I had once been able to. My current plan is hourly exercises described here plus anti-inflammatories twice a day.
Picking up new art today from Kai Lin by Wyatt Graff.
Hoping Matt is recovering.
- Nowhere Men phantom issues posted by sstrader on 22 April 2014 at 11:55:50 PM
- Where was I? posted by sstrader on 22 February 2014 at 11:54:34 AM
- New comic books discovered in Denver in October posted by sstrader on 7 December 2013 at 11:06:53 AM
- The comic book series Saga posted by sstrader on 26 August 2013 at 11:42:29 PM
- Where was I? posted by sstrader on 17 September 2012 at 9:48:00 PM Other entries categorized in Concerts:
- Different Trains in Portland, Maine posted by sstrader on 27 May 2013 at 9:33:51 AM
- Where was I? posted by sstrader on 5 January 2013 at 11:53:11 AM
- Where was I? posted by sstrader on 26 November 2012 at 9:13:35 PM
- Year of music posted by sstrader on 14 June 2012 at 11:14:01 PM
- Einstein on the Thames posted by sstrader on 20 May 2012 at 9:21:10 PM Other entries categorized in Where was I?:
- Where was I? posted by sstrader on 5 July 2014 at 9:18:21 AM
- Where was I? posted by sstrader on 1 July 2014 at 11:38:53 AM
- Where was I? posted by sstrader on 31 May 2014 at 10:07:21 AM
- Where was I? posted by sstrader on 24 July 2013 at 11:16:02 PM
- Where was I? posted by sstrader on 7 March 2013 at 11:05:17 PM