22 April 2014
The social anxiety
Reading Anxiety of influence: how Facebook and Twitter are reshaping the novel. It discusses both Dave Eggers' new novel The Circle, which I have not yet read, and Jennifer Egan's old novel A Visit from the Goon Squad, which I read back in 2013. Both deal with how people use and will use social technology. Eggers' is set in the future; Egan's spans past and future, with its future chapters chilling and incisive. I don't want to live there, but to a certain degree I already do and we all will. There's a particularly honest passage quoted about 2/3s down the Anxiety article. One character stops a face-to-face conversation so that she can continue it via text messages. To her, they are more direct and expressive. I understand that.
For no particular reason that I can recall, I had been recalling scenes from M. T. Anderson's Feed, which I read back in 2009. The Circle seems to have similar themes painting social media as golden handcuffs. And group these with Scott Westerfeld's Extras, which I read back in 2008. In that, social media, as in The Circle, becomes a shareable currency. Becomes the only currency. This is a unique anxiety that possibly didn't exist during other connection explosions. Postal. Telegraph. Wireless. Were we terrified of immediacy back then? Or is our current situation simply a higher energy state that risks so much more?
- The social anxiety posted by sstrader on 22 April 2014 at 5:07:47 PM
- Trends posted by sstrader on 22 September 2013 at 11:20:10 AM
- Repeat posted by sstrader on 6 September 2013 at 8:19:58 PM
- Technology and society posted by sstrader on 29 June 2013 at 12:44:54 PM
- The failure of a remixable Internet posted by sstrader on 10 May 2013 at 8:39:25 AM Other entries categorized in Language & Literature:
- Nowhere Men phantom issues posted by sstrader on 22 April 2014 at 11:55:50 PM
- New comic books discovered in Denver in October posted by sstrader on 7 December 2013 at 11:06:53 AM
- The comic book series Saga posted by sstrader on 26 August 2013 at 11:42:29 PM
- John McPhee on writing posted by sstrader on 20 May 2013 at 11:53:53 PM
- A Visit from the Goon Squad; Jennifer Egan posted by sstrader on 13 May 2013 at 9:36:56 PM